Thursday 13 May 2010

The man from Delmonte.........


Finding products which have better environmental credentials yet match the performance of "conventional" products is not always easy. I knew it would be tricky to find a varnish which would come up to Jeremy's high standards - so it was with some trepidation I put a can of Le Tonkinois in front of him to try. This is a linseed based product, with no petroleum based solvents. From what I could see, it looked like a fantastic product, rather like an oil, it soaks into the wood, so there is no need to sand it right back for subsequent coats. It's made by a small French firm in the outskirts of Paris and the raving testimonials all sound too good to be true. But I'm not the one who has been varnishing for a lifetime, so I have been nipping out to check on the progress of the test piece that Jeremy has been varnishing, waiting for the verdict. It seems the answer is YES.

2 comments:

  1. i'm rather enjoying this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pablo, It's kind of a wierd one, writing out there into the ether, so I really appreciate your comment. My husband said no one would remember the man from Delmonte as it was from the eighties, which is rather worrying because I remember it being much more recent than that!

    ReplyDelete